Monday, December 10, 2007

Lisbon : : Lisboa



Toronto to Lisboa

I arrived in Lisbon from Toronto in the wee hours of the morning. Compared to Pearson Airport in Toronto, the airport in Lisbon was a fairly small airport, but then I felt the buzz was different. I always wanted to go to Europe and start from the tip - Portugal. I wanted to know what it would be like.

Born in Bombay and having visited Goa, which was
a Portuguese colony for many years I wanted to experience Portugal. After making a reservation from the Information Desk (not so helpful - but I grabbed the various brochures to find where I wanted to stay) I headed towards the hotel near Rossio station (see map). Right in the middle of the theater area, it was a small lodge run by a family. If you walk into the lobby you will hear the TV playing their favorite sport - soccer. I was informed that the next day was the big match between Porto and Lisboa.

After s
ettling in I was all wound up to go and explore the city. With the map I had I took off for the coast of Lisbon (5 minutes
walking distance) - the Praça do Comércio. From there I went up the Elevador de Santa Justa and you can see the many beautiful sights from the pictures below.


Houses that line the roads leading to the Praça do Comércio


No comments: